Economic & Business Development
The City of Lawrence’s Economic Development team focuses in the areas of economic development, business development, cultural development, and administration. In this way, inquiries regarding business opportunities, business recruitment, business financing and public and private land development are all issues handled.
The Economic Development Division's goal is to create an environment within the City of Lawrence that is conducive to both business and residential activity, in turn attracting and leveraging additional private investment. Under the Mayor's leadership, the team works to highlight and build on Lawrence’s many strengths as a means of promoting its future.
The priorities of the Economic Development Division include:
- Building the vitality of the downtown core through the creation of new residential, business, retail, cultural and entertainment opportunities.
- Strengthening neighborhood centers with new residential and retail alternatives.
- Improving connections between and among the City's many economic generators.
- Marketing Lawrence’s assets to the region and beyond.
Daily activities to support these priorities include:
- The promotion of enterprises through financial and site search assistance
- Outreach to key property owners to encourage and support revitalizing opportunities for land redevelopment
- The identification and recruitment of new business to complement Lawrence’s diverse economy
- The attraction of new residents and visitors through the promotion of cultural offerings and activities
- Engagement in planning initiatives to create new places for growth and expansion